Psalm 37. Noli aemulari.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Traditional - Seventh Day - Evening Prayer.
- FRET not thyself because of the ungodly; *
neither be thou envious against the evil doers.
- For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, *
and be withered even as the green herb.
- Put thou thy trust in the Lord, and be doing good; *
dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
- Delight thou in the Lord, *
and he shall give thee thy heart's desire.
- Commit thy way unto the Lord, and put thy trust in him, *
and he shall bring it to pass.
- He shall make thy righteousness as clear as the light, *
and thy just dealing as the noon-day.
- Hold thee still in the Lord, and abide patiently upon him: *
but grieve not thyself at him whose way doth prosper, against the man that doeth after evil counsels.
- Leave off from wrath, and let go displeasure: *
fret not thyself, else shalt thou be moved to do evil.
- Wicked doers shall be rooted out; *
and they that patiently abide the Lord, those shall inherit the land.
- Yet a little while, and the ungodly shall be clean gone: *
thou shalt look after his place, and he shall be away.
- But the meek-spirited shall possess the earth, *
and shall be refreshed in the multitude of peace.
- The ungodly seeketh counsel against the just, *
and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.
- The Lord shall laugh him to scorn; *
for he hath seen that his day is coming.
- The ungodly have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, *
to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be upright in their ways.
- Their sword shall go through their own heart, *
and their bow shall be broken.
- A small thing that the righteous hath, *
is better than great riches of the ungodly.
- For the arms of the ungodly shall be broken, *
and the Lord upholdeth the righteous.
- The Lord knoweth the days of the godly; *
and their inheritance shall endure for ever.
- They shall not be confounded in the perilous time; *
and in the days of dearth they shall have enough.
- As for the ungodly, they shall perish, and the enemies of the Lord shall consume as the fat of lambs: *
yea, even as the smoke shall they consume away.
- The ungodly borroweth, and payeth not again; *
but the righteous is merciful and liberal.
- Such as are blessed of God, shall possess the land; *
and they that are cursed of him, shall be rooted out.
- The Lord ordereth a good man's going, *
and maketh his way acceptable to himself.
- Though he fall, he shall not be cast away; *
for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand.
- I have been young, and now am old; *
and yet saw I never the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging their bread.
- The righteous is ever merciful, and lendeth; *
and his seed is blessed.
- Flee from evil, and do the thing that is good; *
and dwell for evermore.
- For the Lord loveth the thing that is right; *
he forsaketh not his that be godly, but they are preserved for ever.
- The unrighteous shall be punished; *
as for the seed of the ungodly, it shall be rooted out.
- The righteous shall inherit the land, *
and dwell therein for ever.
- The mouth of the righteous is exercised in wisdom, *
and his tongue will be talking of judgment.
- The law of his God is in his heart, *
and his goings shall not slide.
- The ungodly watcheth the righteous, *
and seeketh occasion to slay him.
- The Lord will not leave him in his hand, *
nor condemn him when he is judged.
- Hope thou in the Lord, and keep his way, and he shall promote thee, that thou shalt possess the land: *
when the ungodly shall perish, thou shalt see it.
- I myself have seen the ungodly in great power, *
and flourishing like a green bay-tree.
- I went by, and lo, he was gone: *
I sought him, but his place could no where be found.
- Keep innocency, and take heed unto the thing that is right; *
for that shall bring a man peace at the last.
- As for the transgressors, they shall perish together; *
and the end of the ungodly is, they shall be rooted out at the last.
- But the salvation of the righteous cometh of the Lord; *
who is also their strength in the time of trouble.
- And the Lord shall stand by them, and save them: *
he shall deliver them from the ungodly, and shall save them, because they put their trust in him.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|