Brent Cross Railway Station's Cross
Brent Cross Station
Brent is a London suburb. The derivation of the name is from the River Brent, according to Place Names of Middlesex, published by the English Place Names Society, and the name goes back to Old English 'Brigantia'. Records of the use of 'Braegentan', 'Braeingte' and 'Bragente' are cited from the 10th century and 'Brainte' in 1203. Although the settlement is ancient, we have found no evidence to suggest there was ever a religious cross at this site named after the location.
The Underground railway station was opened on the Northern Line in 1923 as Brent Station, designed by Stanley Heaps.
In the 1930s, a garage was built near the station, adjacent to the crossroads of Hendon Way (A41) and the North Circular Road (A406). The Brent River crosses the former Parish of Hendon from east to west and flows alongside the site. Probably for one or both of these reasons, the garage was called Brent Cross Garage.
In the 1970s, the UK's first large shopping centre was built on the site and was named Brent Cross. At the same time, the name of the station was changed to Brent Cross Station.
(Be warned: Town 'planners' have given little regard to pedestrians and rail travellers. They have ensured it is impractical to walk from the shopping centre to the station; especially with heavy shopping bags. Numerous wide and busy roads to cross, using steps and ramps. Take the bus!)