Psalm 94. Deus ultionum.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Contemporary - Eighteenth Day - Evening Prayer.
- O Lord God of vengeance, *
O God of vengeance, show yourself.
- Rise up, O Judge of the world; *
give the arrogant their just deserts.
- How long shall the wicked, O Lord, *
how long shall the wicked triumph?
- They bluster in their insolence; *
all evildoers are full of boasting.
- They crush your people, O Lord, *
and afflict your chosen nation.
- They murder the widow and the stranger *
and put the orphans to death.
- Yet they say, "The Lord does not see, *
the God of Jacob takes no notice."
- Consider well, you dullards among the people; *
when will you fools understand?
- He that planted the ear, does he not hear? *
he that formed the eye, does he not see?
- He who admonishes the nations, will he not punish? *
he who teaches all the world, has he no knowledge?
- The Lord knows our human thoughts; *
how like a puff of wind they are.
- Happy are they whom you instruct, O Lord! *
whom you teach out of your law;
- To give them rest in evil days, *
until a pit is dug for the wicked.
- For the Lord will not abandon his people, *
nor will he forsake his own.
- For judgment will again be just, *
and all the true of heart will follow it.
- Who rose up for me against the wicked? *
who took my part against the evildoers?
- If the Lord had not come to my help, *
I should soon have dwelt in the land of silence.
- As often as I said, "My foot has slipped," *
your love, O Lord, upheld me.
- When many cares fill my mind, *
your consolations cheer my soul.
- Can a corrupt tribunal have any part with you, *
one which frames evil into law?
- They conspire against the life of the just *
and condemn the innocent to death.
- But the Lord has become my stronghold, *
and my God the rock of my trust.
- He will turn their wickedness back upon them and destroy them in their own malice; *
the Lord our God will destroy them.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|