Psalm 89. Misericordias Domini.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Contemporary - Seventeenth Day - Evening Prayer.
Part I: Misericordias Domini
- Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing; *
from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
- For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever; *
you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
- "I have made a covenant with my chosen one; *
I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
- 'I will establish your line for ever, *
and preserve your throne for all generations.' "
- The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord, *
and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
- For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord? *
who is like the Lord among the gods?
- God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones, *
great and terrible to all those round about him.
- Who is like you, Lord God of hosts? *
O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
- You rule the raging of the sea *
and still the surging of its waves.
- You have crushed Rahab of the deep with a deadly wound; *
you have scattered your enemies with your mighty arm.
- Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours; *
you laid the foundations of the world and all that is in it.
- You have made the north and the south; *
Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your Name.
- You have a mighty arm; *
strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
- Righteousness and justice are the foundations of your throne; *
love and truth go before your face.
- Happy are the people who know the festal shout! *
they walk, O Lord, in the light of your presence.
- They rejoice daily in your Name; *
they are jubilant in your righteousness.
- For you are the glory of their strength, *
and by your favor our might is exalted.
- Truly, the Lord is our ruler; *
the Holy One of Israel is our King.
Part II: Tunc locutus es
- You spoke once in a vision and said to your faithful people: *
"I have set the crown upon a warrior and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
- I have found David my servant; *
with my holy oil have I anointed him.
- My hand will hold him fast *
and my arm will make him strong.
- No enemy shall deceive him, *
nor any wicked man bring him down.
- I will crush his foes before him *
and strike down those who hate him.
- My faithfulness and love shall be with him, *
and he shall be victorious through my Name.
- I shall make his dominion extend *
from the Great Sea to the River.
- He will say to me, 'You are my Father, *
my God, and the rock of my salvation.'
- I will make him my firstborn *
and higher than the kings of the earth.
- I will keep my love for him for ever, *
and my covenant will stand firm for him.
- I will establish his line for ever *
and his throne as the days of heaven."
- "If his children forsake my law *
and do not walk according to my judgments;
- If they break my statutes *
and do not keep my commandments;
- I will punish their transgressions with a rod *
and their iniquities with the lash;
- But I will not take my love from him, *
nor let my faithfulness prove false.
- I will not break my covenant, *
nor change what has gone out of my lips.
- Once for all I have sworn by my holiness: *
'I will not lie to David.
- His line shall endure for ever *
and his throne as the sun before me;
- It shall stand fast for evermore like the moon, *
the abiding witness in the sky.' "
- But you have cast off and rejected your anointed; *
you have become enraged at him.
- You have broken your covenant with your servant, *
defiled his crown, and hurled it to the ground.
- You have breached all his walls *
and laid his strongholds in ruins.
- All who pass by despoil him; *
he has become the scorn of his neighbors.
- You have exalted the right hand of his foes *
and made all his enemies rejoice.
- You have turned back the edge of his sword *
and have not sustained him in battle.
- You have put an end to his splendor *
and cast his throne to the ground.
- You have cut short the days of his youth *
and have covered him with shame.
- How long will you hide yourself, O Lord? will you hide yourself for ever? *
how long will your anger burn like fire?
- Remember, Lord, how short life is, how frail you have made all flesh.
- Who can live and not see death? *
who can save himself from the power of the grave?
- Where, Lord, are your loving-kindnesses of old, *
which you promised David in your faithfulness?
- Remember, Lord, how your servant is mocked, *
how I carry in my bosom the taunts of many peoples,
- The taunts your enemies have hurled, O Lord, *
which they hurled at the heels of your anointed.
- Blessed be the Lord for evermore! *
Amen, I say, Amen.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|