Psalm 83. Deus, quis similis?
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Contemporary - Sixteenth Day - Evening Prayer.
- O God, do not be silent; *
do not keep still nor hold your peace, O God;
- For your enemies are in tumult, *
and those who hate you have lifted up their heads.
- They take secret counsel against your people *
and plot against those whom you protect.
- They have said, "Come, let us wipe them out from among the nations; *
let the name of Israel be remembered no more."
- They have conspired together; *
they have made an alliance against you:
- The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites; *
the Moabites and the Hagarenes;
- Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; *
the Philistines and those who dwell in Tyre.
- The Assyrians also have joined them, *
and have come to help the people of Lot.
- Do to them as you did to Midian, *
to Sisera, and to Jabin at the river of Kishon:
- They were destroyed at Endor; *
they became like dung upon the ground.
- Make their leaders like Oreb and Zeeb, *
and all their commanders like Zebah and Zalmunna,
- Who said, "Let us take for ourselves *
the fields of God as our possession."
- O my God, make them like whirling dust *
and like chaff before the wind;
- Like fire that burns down a forest, *
like the flame that sets mountains ablaze.
- Drive them with your tempest *
and terrify them with your storm;
- Cover their faces with shame, O Lord, that they may seek your Name.
- Let them be disgraced and terrified for ever; let them be put to confusion and perish.
- Let them know that you, whose Name is Yahweh, *
you alone are the Most High over all the earth.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|