Psalm 69. Salvum me fac.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Contemporary - Thirteenth Day - Evening Prayer.
- Save me, O God, *
for the waters have risen up to my neck.
- I am sinking in deep mire, *
and there is no firm ground for my feet.
- I have come into deep waters, *
and the torrent washes over me.
- I have grown weary with my crying; my throat is inflamed; *
my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
- Those who hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head; my lying foes who would destroy me are mighty. *
Must I then give back what I never stole?
- O God, you know my foolishness, *
and my faults are not hidden from you.
- Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, Lord God of hosts; *
let not those who seek you be disgraced because of me, O God of Israel.
- Surely, for your sake have I suffered reproach, *
and shame has covered my face.
- I have become a stranger to my own kindred, *
an alien to my mother's children.
- Zeal for your house has eaten me up; *
the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me.
- I humbled myself with fasting, *
but that was turned to my reproach.
- I put on sack-cloth also, *
and became a byword among them.
- Those who sit at the gate murmur against me, *
and the drunkards make songs about me.
- But as for me, this is my prayer to you, *
at the time you have set, O Lord:
- "In your great mercy, O God, *
answer me with your unfailing help.
- Save me from the mire; do not let me sink; *
let me be rescued from those who hate me and out of the deep waters.
- Let not the torrent of waters wash over me, neither let the deep swallow me up; *
do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
- Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind; *
in your great compassion, turn to me."
- "Hide not your face from your servant; *
be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.
- Draw near to me and redeem me; *
because of my enemies deliver me.
- You know my reproach, my shame, and my dishonor; *
my adversaries are all in your sight."
- Reproach has broken my heart, and it cannot be healed; *
I looked for sympathy, but there was none, for comforters, but I could find no one.
- They gave me gall to eat, *
and when I was thirsty, they gave me vinegar to drink.
- Let the table before them be a trap *
and their sacred feasts a snare.
- Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, *
and give them continual trembling in their loins.
- Pour out your indignation upon them, *
and let the fierceness of your anger overtake them.
- Let their camp be desolate, *
and let there be none to dwell in their tents.
- For they persecute him whom you have stricken *
and add to the pain of those whom you have pierced.
- Lay to their charge guilt upon guilt, *
and let them not receive your vindication.
- Let them be wiped out of the book of the living *
and not be written among the righteous.
- As for me, I am afflicted and in pain; *
your help, O God, will lift me up on high.
- I will praise the Name of God in song; *
I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.
- This will please the Lord more than an offering of oxen, *
more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.
- The afflicted shall see and be glad; *
you who seek God, your heart shall live.
- For the Lord listens to the needy, *
and his prisoners he does not despise.
- Let the heavens and the earth praise him, *
the seas and all that moves in them;
- For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah; *
they shall live there and have it in possession.
- The children of his servants will inherit it, *
and those who love his Name will dwell therein.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|