Psalm 55. Exaudi, Deus.
- Hear my prayer, O God; *
do not hide yourself from my petition.
- Listen to me and answer me; *
I have no peace, because of my cares.
- I am shaken by the noise of the enemy *
and by the pressure of the wicked;
- For they have cast an evil spell upon me *
and are set against me in fury.
- My heart quakes within me, *
and the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
- Fear and trembling have come over me, *
and horror overwhelms me.
- And I said, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! *
I would fly away and be at rest.
- I would flee to a far-off place *
and make my lodging in the wilderness.
- Swallow them up, O Lord; confound their speech; *
for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
- Day and night the watchmen make their rounds upon her walls, *
but trouble and misery are in the midst of her.
- There is corruption in her heart; *
her streets are never free of oppression and deceit.
- For had it been an adversary who taunted me, then I could have borne it; *
or had it been an enemy who vaunted himself against me, then I could have hidden from him.
- But it was you, a man after my own heart, *
my companion, my own familiar friend.
- We took sweet counsel together, *
and walked with the throng in the house of God.
- Let death come upon them suddenly; let them go down alive into the grave; *
for wickedness is in their dwellings, in their very midst.
- But I will call upon God, *
and the Lord will deliver me.
- In the evening, in the morning, and at noonday, I will complain and lament, *
and he will hear my voice.
- He will bring me safely back from the battle waged against me; *
for there are many who fight me.
- God, who is enthroned of old, will hear me and bring them down; *
they never change; they do not fear God.
- My companion stretched forth his hand against his comrade; *
he has broken his covenant.
- His speech is softer than butter, *
but war is in his heart.
- His words are smoother than oil, *
but they are drawn swords.
- Cast your burden upon the Lord, and he will sustain you; *
he will never let the righteous stumble.
- For you will bring the bloodthirsty and deceitful *
down to the pit of destruction, O God.
- They shall not live out half their days, *
but I will put my trust in you.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|