Psalm 51. Miserere mei, Deus.
- Have mercy on me, O God, according to your lovingkindness; *
in your great compassion blot out my offenses.
- Wash me through and through from my wickedness *
and cleanse me from my sin.
- For I know my transgressions, *
and my sin is ever before me.
- Against you only have I sinned *
and done what is evil in your sight.
- And so you are justified when you speak *
and upright in your judgment.
- Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth, *
a sinner from my mother's womb.
- For behold, you look for truth deep within me, *
and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
- Purge me from my sin, and I shall be pure; *
wash me, and I shall be clean indeed.
- Make me hear of joy and gladness, *
that the body you have broken may rejoice.
- Hide your face from my sins *
and blot out all my iniquities.
- Create in me a clean heart, O God, *
and renew a right spirit within me.
- Cast me not away from your presence *
and take not your holy Spirit from me.
- Give me the joy of your saving help again *
and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
- I shall teach your ways to the wicked, *
and sinners shall return to you.
- Deliver me from death, O God, *
and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness, O God of my salvation.
- Open my lips, O Lord, *
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
- Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice, *
but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
- The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit; *
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
- Be favorable and gracious to Zion, *
and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
- Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices, with burnt-offerings and oblations; *
then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|