Psalm 48. Magnus Dominus.
- Great is the Lord, and highly to be praised; *
in the city of our God is his holy hill.
- Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth, is the hill of Zion, *
the very center of the world and the city of the great King.
- God is in her citadels; *
he is known to be her sure refuge.
- Behold, the kings of the earth assembled *
and marched forward together.
- They looked and were astounded; *
they retreated and fled in terror.
- Trembling seized them there; *
they writhed like a woman in childbirth, like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
- As we have heard, so have we seen, in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God; *
God has established her for ever.
- We have waited in silence on your loving-kindness, O God, *
in the midst of your temple.
- Your praise, like your Name, O God, reaches to the world's end; *
your right hand is full of justice.
- Let Mount Zion be glad and the cities of Judah rejoice, *
because of your judgments.
- Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her; *
count the number of her towers.
- Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds; *
that you may tell those who come after.
- This God is our God for ever and ever; *
he shall be our guide for evermore.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|