Psalm 40. Expectans expectavi.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Contemporary - Eighth Day - Morning Prayer.
- I waited patiently upon the Lord; *
he stooped to me and heard my cry.
- He lifted me out of the desolate pit, out of the mire and clay; *
he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
- He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; *
many shall see, and stand in awe, and put their trust in the Lord.
- Happy are they who trust in the Lord! *
they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
- Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God! how great your wonders and your plans for us! *
there is none who can be compared with you.
- Oh, that I could make them known and tell them! *
but they are more than I can count.
- In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure *
(you have given me ears to hear you);
- Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required, *
and so I said, "Behold, I come.
- In the roll of the book it is written concerning me: *
'I love to do your will, O my God; your law is deep in my heart.' "
- I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation; *
behold, I did not restrain my lips; and that, O Lord, you know.
- Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance; *
I have not concealed your love and faithfulness from the great congregation.
- You are the Lord; do not withhold your compassion from me; *
let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
- For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see; *
they are more in number than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails me.
- Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me; *
O Lord, make haste to help me.
- Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed who seek after my life to destroy it; *
let them draw back and be disgraced who take pleasure in my misfortune.
- Let those who say "Aha!" and gloat over me be confounded, *
because they are ashamed.
- Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad; *
let those who love your salvation continually say, Great is the Lord!
- Though I am poor and afflicted, *
the Lord will have regard for me.
- You are my helper and my deliverer; *
do not tarry, O my God.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|