Psalm 38. Domine, ne in furore.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Contemporary - Eighth Day - Morning Prayer.
- O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger; *
do not punish me in your wrath.
- For your arrows have already pierced me, *
and your hand presses hard upon me.
- There is no health in my flesh, because of your indignation; *
there is no soundness in my body, because of my sin.
- For my iniquities overwhelm me; *
like a heavy burden they are too much for me to bear.
- My wounds stink and fester *
by reason of my foolishness.
- I am utterly bowed down and prostrate; *
I go about in mourning all the day long.
- My loins are filled with searing pain; *
there is no health in my body.
- I am utterly numb and crushed; *
I wail, because of the groaning of my heart.
- O Lord, you know all my desires, *
and my sighing is not hidden from you.
- My heart is pounding, my strength has failed me, *
and the brightness of my eyes is gone from me.
- My friends and companions draw back from my affliction; *
my neighbors stand afar off.
- Those who seek after my life lay snares for me; *
those who strive to hurt me speak of my ruin and plot treachery all the day long.
- But I am like the deaf who do not hear, *
like those who are mute and do not open their mouth.
- I have become like one who does not hear *
and from whose mouth comes no defense.
- For in you, O Lord, have I fixed my hope; *
you will answer me, O Lord my God.
- For I said, "Do not let them rejoice at my expense, *
those who gloat over me when my foot slips."
- Truly, I am on the verge of falling, *
and my pain is always with me.
- I will confess my iniquity *
and be sorry for my sin.
- Those who are my enemies without cause are mighty, *
and many in number are those who wrongfully hate me.
- Those who repay evil for good slander me, *
because I follow the course that is right.
- O Lord, do not forsake me; *
be not far from me, O my God.
- Make haste to help me, *
O Lord of my salvation.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|