Psalm 37. Noli aemulari.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Contemporary - Seventh Day - Evening Prayer.
Part I: Noli oemulari
- Do not fret yourself because of evildoers; *
do not be jealous of those who do wrong.
- For they shall soon wither like the grass, *
and like the green grass fade away.
- Put your trust in the Lord and do good; *
dwell in the land and feed on its riches.
- Take delight in the Lord *
and he shall give you your heart's desire.
- Commit your way to the Lord and put your trust in him, *
and he will bring it to pass.
- He will make your righteousness as clear as the light *
and your just dealing as the noonday.
- Be still before the Lord *
and wait patiently for him.
- Do not fret yourself over the one who prospers, *
the one who succeeds in evil schemes.
- Refrain from anger, leave rage alone; *
do not fret yourself; it leads only to evil.
- For evildoers shall be cut off, *
but those who wait upon the Lord shall possess the land.
- In a little while the wicked shall be no more; *
you shall search out their place, but they will not be there.
- But the lowly shall possess the land; *
they will delight in abundance of peace.
- The wicked plot against the righteous *
and gnash at them with their teeth.
- The Lord laughs at the wicked, *
because he sees that their day will come.
- The wicked draw their sword and bend their bow to strike down the poor and needy, *
to slaughter those who are upright in their ways.
- Their sword shall go through their own heart, *
and their bow shall be broken.
- The little that the righteous has *
is better than great riches of the wicked.
- For the power of the wicked shall be broken, *
but the Lord upholds the righteous.
Part II Novit Dominus
- The Lord cares for the lives of the godly, *
and their inheritance shall last for ever.
- They shall not be ashamed in bad times, *
and in days of famine they shall have enough.
- As for the wicked, they shall perish, *
and the enemies of the Lord, like the glory of the meadows, shall vanish; they shall vanish like smoke.
- The wicked borrow and do not repay, *
but the righteous are generous in giving.
- Those who are blessed by God shall possess the land, *
but those who are cursed by him shall be destroyed.
- Our steps are directed by the Lord; *
he strengthens those in whose way he delights.
- If they stumble, they shall not fall headlong, *
for the Lord holds them by the hand.
- I have been young and now I am old, *
but never have I seen the righteous forsaken, or their children begging bread.
- The righteous are always generous in their lending, *
and their children shall be a blessing.
- Turn from evil, and do good, *
and dwell in the land for ever.
- For the Lord loves justice; *
he does not forsake his faithful ones.
- They shall be kept safe for ever, *
but the offspring of the wicked shall be destroyed.
- The righteous shall possess the land *
and dwell in it for ever.
- The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom, *
and their tongue speaks what is right.
- The law of their God is in their heart, *
and their footsteps shall not falter.
- The wicked spy on the righteous *
and seek occasion to kill them.
- The Lord will not abandon them to their hand, *
nor let them be found guilty when brought to trial.
- Wait upon the Lord and keep his way; *
he will raise you up to possess the land, and when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.
- I have seen the wicked in their arrogance, *
flourishing like a tree in full leaf.
- I went by, and behold, they were not there; *
I searched for them, but they could not be found.
- Mark those who are honest; observe the upright; *
for there is a future for the peaceable.
- Transgressors shall be destroyed, one and all; *
the future of the wicked is cut off.
- But the deliverance of the righteous comes from the Lord; *
he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
- The Lord will help them and rescue them; *
he will rescue them from the wicked and deliver them, because they seek refuge in him.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|