Psalm 35. Judica, Domine.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Contemporary - Seventh Day - Morning Prayer.
- Fight those who fight me, O Lord; *
attack those who are attacking me.
- Take up shield and armor *
and rise up to help me.
- Draw the sword and bar the way against those who pursue me; *
say to my soul," I am your salvation."
- Let those who seek after my life be shamed and humbled, *
let those who plot my ruin fall back and be dismayed.
- Let them be like chaff before the wind, *
and let the angel of the Lord drive them away.
- Let their way be dark and slippery, *
and let the angel of the Lord pursue them.
- For they have secretly spread a net for me without a cause; *
without a cause they have dug a pit to take me alive.
- Let ruin come upon them unawares; *
let them be caught in the net they hid; let them fall into the pit they dug.
- Then I will be joyful in the Lord; *
I will glory in his victory.
- My very bones will say, "Lord, who is like you? *
You deliver the poor from those who are too strong for them, the poor and needy from those who rob them."
- Malicious witnesses rise up against me; *
they charge me with matters I know nothing about.
- They pay me evil in exchange for good; *
my soul is full of despair.
- But when they were sick I dressed in sack-cloth *
and humbled myself by fasting;
- I prayed with my whole heart, as one would for a friend or a brother; *
I behaved like one who mourns for his mother, bowed down and grieving.
- But when I stumbled, they were glad and gathered together; they gathered against me; *
strangers whom I did not know tore me to pieces and would not stop.
- They put me to the test and mocked me; *
they gnashed at me with their teeth.
- O Lord, how long will you look on? *
rescue me from the roaring beasts, and my life from the young lions.
- I will give you thanks in the great congregation; *
I will praise you in the mighty throng.
- Do not let my treacherous foes rejoice over me, *
nor let those who hate me without a cause wink at each other.
- For they do not plan for peace, *
but invent deceitful schemes against the quiet in the land.
- They opened their mouths at me and said, *
Aha! we saw it with our own eyes.
- You saw it, O Lord; do not be silent; *
O Lord, be not far from me.
- Awake, arise, to my cause! *
to my defense, my God and my Lord!
- Give me justice, O Lord my God, according to your righteousness; *
do not let them triumph over me.
- Do not let them say in their hearts, Aha! just what we want! *
Do not let them say, "We have swallowed him up."
- Let all who rejoice at my ruin be ashamed and disgraced; *
let those who boast against me be clothed with dismay and shame.
- Let those who favor my cause sing out with joy and be glad; *
let them say always, "Great is the Lord, who desires the prosperity of his servant."
- And my tongue shall be talking of your righteousness *
and of your praise all the day long.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|