Psalm 31. In te, Domine, speravi.
- In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; *
deliver me in your righteousness.
- Incline your ear to me; *
make haste to deliver me.
- Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe, for you are my crag and my stronghold; *
for the sake of your Name, lead me and guide me.
- Take me out of the net that they have secretly set for me, *
for you are my tower of strength.
- Into your hands I commend my spirit, *
for you have redeemed me, O Lord, O God of truth.
- I hate those who cling to worthless idols, *
and I put my trust in the Lord.
- I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy; *
for you have seen my affliction; you know my distress.
- You have not shut me up in the power of the enemy; *
you have set my feet in an open place.
- Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; *
my eye is consumed with sorrow, and also my throat and my belly.
- For my life is wasted with grief, and my years with sighing; *
my strength fails me because of affliction, and my bones are consumed.
- I have become a reproach to all my enemies and even to my neighbors, a dismay to those of my acquaintance; *
when they see me in the street they avoid me.
- I am forgotten like a dead man, out of mind; *
I am as useless as a broken pot.
- For I have heard the whispering of the crowd; fear is all around; *
they put their heads together against me; they plot to take my life.
- But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord. *
I have said, "You are my God.
- My times are in your hand; *
rescue me from the hand of my enemies, and from those who persecute me.
- Make your face to shine upon your servant, *
and in your loving-kindness save me."
- Lord, let me not be ashamed for having called upon you; *
rather, let the wicked be put to shame; let them be silent in the grave.
- Let the lying lips be silenced which speak against the righteous, *
haughtily, disdainfully, and with contempt.
- How great is your goodness, O Lord! which you have laid up for those who fear you; *
which you have done in the sight of all for those who put their trust in you.
- You hide them in the covert of your presence from those who slander them; *
you keep them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.
- Blessed be the Lord! *
for he has shown me the wonders of his love in a besieged city.
- Yet I said in my alarm, I have been cut off from the sight of your eyes. *
Nevertheless, you heard the sound of my entreaty when I cried out to you.
- Love the Lord, all you who worship him; *
the Lord protects the faithful, but repays to the full those who act haughtily.
- Be strong and let your heart take courage, *
all you who wait for the Lord.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|