Psalm 18. Diligam te, Domine.
Part I: Diligam te, Domine.
- I love you, O Lord my strength, *
O Lord my stronghold, my crag, and my haven.
- My God, my rock in whom I put my trust, *
my shield, the horn of my salvation, and my refuge; you are worthy of praise.
- I will call upon the Lord, *
and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
- The breakers of death rolled over me, *
and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
- The cords of hell entangled me, *
and the snares of death were set for me.
- I called upon the Lord in my distress *
and cried out to my God for help.
- He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling; *
my cry of anguish came to his ears.
- The earth reeled and rocked; *
the roots of the mountains shook; they reeled because of his anger.
- Smoke rose from his nostrils and a consuming fire out of his mouth; *
hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
- He parted the heavens and came down *
with a storm cloud under his feet.
- He mounted on cherubim and flew; *
he swooped on the wings of the wind.
- He wrapped darkness about him; *
he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
- From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds, *
burst hailstones and coals of fire.
- The Lord thundered out of heaven; *
the Most High uttered his voice.
- He loosed his arrows and scattered them; *
he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
- The beds of the seas were uncovered, and the foundations of the world laid bare, *
at your battle cry, O Lord, at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
- He reached down from on high and grasped me; *
he drew me out of great waters.
- He delivered me from my strong enemies and from those who hated me; *
for they were too mighty for me.
- They confronted me in the day of my disaster; *
but the Lord was my support.
- He brought me out into an open place; *
he rescued me because he delighted in me.
Part II: Et retribuet mihi
- The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing; *
because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
- For I have kept the ways of the Lord rewarded me according to my righteous dealing, *
because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
- For all his judgments are before my eyes, *
and his decrees I have not put away from me;
- For I have been blameless with him *
and have kept myself from iniquity.
- Therefore the Lord rewarded me according to my righteous dealing, *
because of the cleannness of my hands in his sight.
- With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God; *
with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
- With the pure you show yourself pure, *
but with the crooked you are wily.
- You will save a lowly people, *
but you will humble the haughty eyes.
- You, O Lord, are my lamp; *
my God, you make my darkness bright.
- With you I will break down an enclosure; *
with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
- As for God, his ways are perfect; the words of the Lord are tried in the fire; *
he is a shield to all who trust in him.
- For who is God, but the Lord? *
who is the Rock, except our God?
- It is God who girds me about with strength *
and makes my way secure.
- He makes me sure-footed like a deer *
and lets me stand firm on the heights.
- He trains my hands for battle *
and my arms for bending even a bow of bronze.
- You have given me your shield of victory; *
your right hand also sustains me; your loving care makes me great.
- You lengthen my stride beneath me, *
and my ankles do not give way.
- I pursue my enemies and overtake them; *
I will not turn back till I have destroyed them.
- I strike them down, and they cannot rise; *
they fall defeated at my feet.
- You have girded me with strength for the battle; *
you have cast down my adversaries beneath me; you have put my enemies to flight.
- I destroy those who hate me; they cry out, but there is none to help them; *
they cry to the Lord, but he does not answer.
- I beat them small like dust before the wind; *
I trample them like mud in the streets.
- You deliver me from the strife of the peoples; *
you put me at the head of the nations.
- A people I have not known shall serve me; no sooner shall they hear than they shall obey me; *
strangers will cringe before me.
- The foreign peoples will lose heart; *
they shall come trembling out of their strongholds.
- The Lord lives! Blessed is my Rock! *
Exalted is the God of my salvation!
- He is the God who gave me victory *
and cast down the peoples beneath me.
- You rescued me from the fury of my enemies; you exalted me above those who rose against me; *
you saved me from my deadly foe.
- Therefore will I extol you among the nations, O Lord, *
and sing praises to your Name.
- He multiplies the victories of his king; *
he shows loving-kindness to his anointed, to David and his descendants for ever.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|