Psalm 139. Domine, probasti.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Traditional - Twenty-ninth Day - Morning Prayer.
- O LORD, thou hast searched me out, and known me. *
Thou knowest my down-sitting, and mine up-rising; thou understandest my thoughts long before.
- Thou art about my path, and about my bed; *
and art acquainted with all my ways.
- For lo, there is not a word in my tongue, *
but thou, O Lord, knowest it altogether.
- Thou hast beset me behind and before, *
and laid thine hand upon me.
- Such knowledge is too wonderful and excellent for me; *
I cannot attain unto it.
- Whither shall I go then from thy Spirit? *
or whither shall I go then from thy presence?
- If I climb up into heaven, thou art there; *
if I go down to hell, thou art there also.
- If I take the wings of the morning, *
and remain in the uttermost parts of the sea;
- Even there also shall thy hand lead me, *
and thy right hand shall hold me.
- If I say, Peradventure the darkness shall cover me; *
then shall my night be turned to day.
- Yea, the darkness is no darkness with thee, but the night is as clear as the day; *
the darkness and light to thee are both alike.
- For my reins are thine; *
thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
- I will give thanks unto thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: *
marvellous are thy works, and that my soul knoweth right well.
- My bones are not hid from thee, *
though I be made secretly, and fashioned beneath in the earth.
- Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being imperfect; *
and in thy book were all my members written;
- Which day by day were fashioned, *
when as yet there was none of them.
- How dear are thy counsels unto me, O God; *
O how great is the sum of them!
- If I tell them, they are more in number than the sand: *
when I wake up, I am present with thee.
- Wilt thou not slay the wicked, O God? *
Depart from me, ye blood-thirsty men.
- For they speak unrighteously against thee; *
and thine enemies take thy Name in vain.
- Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? *
and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
- Yea, I hate them right sore; *
even as though they were mine enemies.
- Try me, O God, and seek the ground of my heart; *
prove me, and examine my thoughts.
- Look well if there be any way of wickedness in me; *
and lead me in the way everlasting.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|