Psalm 59. Eripe me de inimicis.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Traditional - Eleventh Day - Evening Prayer.
- DELIVER me from mine enemies, O God; *
defend me from them that rise up against me.
- O deliver me from the wicked doers, *
and save me from the blood-thirsty men.
- For lo, they lie waiting for my soul; *
the mighty men are gathered against me, without any offence or fault of me, O Lord.
- They run and prepare themselves without my fault; *
arise thou therefore to help me, and behold.
- Stand up, O Lord God of hosts, thou God of Israel, to visit all the heathen, *
and be not merciful unto them that offend of malicious wickedness.
- They go to and fro in the evening, *
they grin like a dog, and run about through the city.
- Behold, they speak with their mouth, and swords are in their lips; *
for who doth hear?
- But thou, O Lord, shalt have them in derision, *
and thou shalt laugh all the heathen to scorn.
- My strength will I ascribe unto thee; *
for thou art the God of my refuge.
- God showeth me his goodness plenteously; *
and God shall let me see my desire upon mine enemies.
- Slay them not, lest my people forget it; *
but scatter them abroad among the people, and put them down, O Lord our defence.
- For the sin of their mouth, and for the words of their lips, they shall be taken in their pride: *
and why? their talk is of cursing and lies.
- Consume them in thy wrath, consume them, that they may perish; *
and know that it is God that ruleth in Jacob, and unto the ends of the world.
- And in the evening they will return, *
grin like a dog, and will go about the city.
- They will run here and there for meat, *
and grudge if they be not satisfied.
- As for me, I will sing of thy power, and will praise thy mercy betimes in the morning; *
for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble.
- Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing; *
for thou, O God, art my refuge, and my merciful God.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|