Psalm 48. Magnus Dominus.
- GREAT is the Lord, and highly to be praised *
in the city of our God, even upon his holy hill.
- The hill of Sion is a fair place, and the joy of the whole earth; *
upon the north side lieth the city of the great King: God is well known in her palaces as a sure refuge.
- For lo, the kings of the earth *
were gathered, and gone by together.
- They marvelled to see such things; *
they were astonished, and suddenly cast down.
- Fear came there upon them; and sorrow, *
as upon a woman in her travail.
- Thou dost break the ships of the sea *
through the eastwind.
- Like as we have heard, so have we seen in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God; *
God upholdeth the same for ever.
- We wait for thy loving-kindness, O God, *
in the midst of thy temple.
- O God, according to thy Name, so is thy praise unto the world's end; *
thy right hand is full of righteousness.
- Let the mount Sion rejoice, and the daughters of Judah be glad, *
because of thy judgments.
- Walk about Sion, and go round about her; *
and tell the towers thereof.
- Mark well her bulwarks, consider her palaces, *
that ye may tell them that come after.
- For this God is our God for ever and ever: *
he shall be our guide unto death.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|