Psalm 40. Expectans expectavi.
- I WAITED patiently for the Lord, *
and he inclined unto me, and heard my calling.
- He brought me also out of the horrible pit, out of the mire and clay, *
and set my feet upon the rock, and ordered my goings.
- And he hath put a new song in my mouth, *
even a thanksgiving unto our God.
- Many shall see it, and fear, *
and shall put their trust in the Lord.
- Blessed is the man that hath set his hope in the Lord, *
and turned not unto the proud, and to such as go about with lies.
- O Lord my God, great are the wondrous works which thou hast done, like as be also thy thoughts, which are to usward; *
and yet there is no man that ordereth them unto thee.
- If I should declare them, and speak of them, *
they should be more than I am able to express.
- Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, *
but mine ears hast thou opened.
- Burnt-offering and sacrifice for sin hast thou not required: *
then said I, Lo, I come;
- In the volume of the book it is written of me, that I should fulfil thy will, O my God: *
I am content to do it; yea, thy law is within my heart.
- I have declared thy righteousness in the great congregation: *
lo, I will not refrain my lips, O Lord, and that thou knowest.
- I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; *
my talk hath been of thy truth, and of thy salvation.
- I have not kept back thy loving mercy and truth *
from the great congregation.
- Withdraw not thou thy mercy from me, O Lord; *
let thy loving-kindness and thy truth alway preserve me.
- For innumerable troubles are come about me; my sins have taken such hold upon me, that I am not able to look up; *
yea, they are more in number than the hairs of my head, and my heart hath failed me.
- O Lord, let it be thy pleasure to deliver me; *
make haste, O Lord, to help me.
- Let them be ashamed, and confounded together, that seek after my soul to destroy it; *
let them be driven backward, and put to rebuke, that wish me evil.
- Let them be desolate, and rewarded with shame, *
that say unto me, Fie upon thee! fie upon thee!
- Let all those that seek thee, be joyful and glad in thee; *
and let such as love thy salvation, say alway, The Lord be praised.
- As for me, I am poor and needy; *
but the Lord careth for me.
- Thou art my helper and redeemer; *
make no long tarrying, O my God.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|