Psalm 18. Diligam te, Domine.
From the Book of Divine Worship
- The Psalter or Psalms of David - Traditional - The Third Day - Evening Prayer.
- I will love thee, O Lord, my strength. *
The Lord is my stony rock, and my defence;
- My Saviour, my God, and my might, in whom I will trust; *
my buckler, the horn also of my salvation, and my refuge.
- I will call upon the Lord, which is worthy to be praised; *
so shall I be safe from mine enemies.
- The sorrows of death compassed me, *
and the overflowings of ungodliness made me afraid.
- The pains of hell came about me; *
the snares of death overtook me.
- In my trouble I called upon the Lord, *
and complained unto my God:
- So he heard my voice out of his holy temple, *
and my complaint came before him; it entered even into his ears.
- The earth trembled and quaked, *
the very foundations also of the hills shook, and were removed, because he was wroth.
- There went a smoke out in his presence, *
and a consuming fire out of his mouth, so that coals were kindled at it.
- He bowed the heavens also, and came down, *
and it was dark under his feet.
- He rode upon the Cherubim, and did fly; *
he came flying upon the wings of the wind.
- He made darkness his secret place, *
his pavilion round about him with dark water, and thick clouds to cover him.
- At the brightness of his presence his clouds removed; *
hailstones and coals of fire.
- The Lord also thundered out of heaven, and the Highest gave his thunder; *
hailstones and coals of fire.
- He sent out his arrows, and scattered them; *
he cast forth lightnings, and destroyed them.
- The springs of waters were seen, and the foundations of the round world were discovered, *
at thy chiding, O Lord, at the blasting of the breath of thy displeasure.
- He sent down from on high to fetch me, *
and took me out of many waters.
- He delivered me from my strongest enemy, and from them which hate me; *
for they were too mighty for me.
- They came upon me in the day of my trouble; *
but the Lord was my upholder.
- He brought me forth also into a place of liberty; *
he brought me forth, even because he had a favour unto me.
- The Lord rewarded me after my righteous dealing, *
according to the cleanness of my hands did he recompense me.
- Because I have kept the ways of the Lord, *
and have not forsaken my God, as the wicked doth.
- For I have an eye unto all his laws, *
and will not cast out his commandments from me.
- I was also uncorrupt before him, *
and eschewed mine own wickedness.
- Therefore the Lord rewarded me after my righteous dealing, *
and according unto the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight.
- With the holy thou shalt be holy, *
and with a perfect man thou shalt be perfect.
- With the clean thou shalt be clean, *
and with the froward thou shalt be froward.
- For thou shalt save the people that are in adversity, *
and shalt bring down the high looks of the proud.
- Thou also shalt light my candle; *
the Lord my God shall make my darkness to be light.
- For in thee I shall discomfit an host of men, *
and with the help of my God I shall leap over the wall.
- The way of God is an undefiled way: *
the word of the Lord also is tried in the fire; he is the defender of all them that put their trust in him.
- For who is God, but the Lord? *
or who hath any strength, except our God?
- It is God that girdeth me with strength of war, *
and maketh my way perfect.
- He maketh my feet like harts' feet, *
and setteth me up on high.
- He teacheth mine hands to fight, *
and mine arms shall bend even a bow of steel.
- Thou hast given me the defence of thy salvation; *
thy right hand also shall hold me up, and thy loving correction shall make me great.
- Thou shalt make room enough under me for to go, *
that my footsteps shall not slide.
- I will follow upon mine enemies, and overtake them; *
neither will I turn again till I have destroyed them.
- I will smite them, that they shall not be able to stand, *
but fall under my feet.
- Thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle; *
thou shalt throw down mine enemies under me.
- Thou hast made mine enemies also to turn their backs upon me, *
and I shall destroy them that hate me.
- They shall cry, but there shall be none to help them; *
yea, even unto the Lord shall they cry, but he shall not hear them.
- I will beat them as small as the dust before the wind: *
I will cast them out as the clay in the streets.
- Thou shalt deliver me from the strivings of the people, *
and thou shalt make me the head of the nations; a people whom I have not known shall serve me.
- As soon as they hear of me, they shall obey me; *
the strangers shall feign obedience unto me.
- The strangers shall fail, *
and come trembling out of their strongholds.
- The Lord liveth; and blessed be my strong helper, *
and praised be the God of my salvation;
- Even the God that seeth that I be avenged, *
and subdueth the people unto me.
- It is he that delivereth me from my cruel enemies, and setteth me up above mine adversaries: *
thou shalt rid me from the wicked man.
- For this cause will I give thanks unto thee, O Lord, among the Gentiles, *
and sing praises unto thy Name.
- Great prosperity giveth he unto his King, *
and showeth loving-kindness unto David his anointed, and unto his seed for evermore.
||An asterisk divides a verse of a Psalm in two portions for responsive reading|